Sunday, January 04, 2009

Dinner blog

So, what's for dinner?

Well, I was just in South Texas and courtesy of my Uncle's generosity and my cousin's good shooting, along with a little help from my Dad and myself, we got on the right side of a few quail. Those tasty little guys are best, to my mind, fried, so Sunday dinner was reminiscent of flavors of my childhood. For a long time, I considered cream gravy to be "quail gravy". I don't shoot many quail any more and fry food even less, so I was gratified when everything came out ok, if not quite exactly how I was aiming for.

Black-eyed peas, greens with tomatoes (& garlic & wine, not quite Southern, but good), rice, cream gravy, fried quail and a homemade loaf.



What to drink with such S. Texas fare? Why not a crisp mild prosecco? Not exactly southern, coming from the Veneto region of Italy, but a nice foil for the generally mild flavors. Besides, something stronger than ice tea is called for when facing the prospect of going back to work after the long weekend.

No comments: